Thursday, December 8, 2011

A day in the life….

I’ve seen a few people do this on their blogs, and I decided to join in, while I still remember it.  I like to look back on my old blog posts, and I thought a few years down the road it would be fun to look back and see what my daily life is like now.
So here’s a look at my daily routine.  I’ve estimated times since I don’t have the time, or energy, to go through the day writing down a minute by minute summary of what I do.  But this is the jist of it.
Sometime between 4:30am and 7:30am: get up and make Mark’s coffee and breakfast for him and get his lunch ready to go, while he’s taking a shower.  Say goodbye to Mark and go back to bed.
8:30-9am – Wake up.  Get dressed.  Do make-up (sometimes) and hair.  Let dogs out and give them food and water.
9 – 9:15am – Wake Abbie up if she doesn’t wake up on her own.  Change her, get her dressed.  Sometimes we snuggle for a little bit before she gets out of bed, if we have time.
9:15 - 9:45am – Make Abbie and me breakfast.  Try to convince Abbie to eat all of her breakfast.  Check my emails and blogs and Facebook and talk to Abbie.  (On days Abbie goes to the sitters, we leave at 9:45am and I drop her off at 10am and then go run errands and/or eat lunch with friends or come back home and clean or do crafts until 1pm, when I pick her up.)
9:45 -11am (ish) – If we’re at home, Abbie usually plays while I clean or do laundry or write blogs or letters.  Sometimes I’ll turn on the TV for her to watch while she drinks her milk, sometimes she just plays in her room and the living room.
11 – 2pm (ish) – We almost always go to base.  Usually we try to meet Mark or a friend for lunch and we’ll go check the mail and get groceries.  Sometimes I take her to the park, or I’ll take her (and her baby) for a walk in the stroller if I’m feeling up to it.  Lately I’ve been going to my NST’s or other doctors appointments also.  We try to leave base between 1:30 and 1:45 to make it home by 2pm.
2 – 4:30pm – Abbie naps.  I usually try to get her down between 2 and 2:30pm, and she’ll usually lay in there and talk for 10-20 mins before she actually falls asleep.  Usually she’ll sleep until at leave 4pm, but sometimes as long as 4:45pm.  I don’t let her sleep past 4:45 and usually try to wake her up by 4:30pm if she isn’t already awake.  While she naps, lately, I’ve been napping too.  “Lately”, as in, the past 8 months…  I love naps, but especially right now.
4:30 – 6:30pm – Abbie and I hang out.  We read books and do puzzles and usually eat a snack.  Sometimes we snuggle on the couch and watch TV or I’ll turn one of her shows on for her to watch while I work on the computer or clean again.
6:30 – 7:15pm – Mark usually gets home and we talk while he plays with Abbie and I get dinner ready.
7:15 – 7:45pm – Eat dinner and try to carry on a conversation with Mark, which usually doesn’t happen.  Sometimes it does, just with 14 interruptions per sentence from Abbie.
7:45 – 8:45pm – Clean up kitchen from dinner, play with Abbie, try to get more cleaning/chores done, make lists for next day, clean up living room and Abbie’s room.
8:45 – 9:15pm (ish) – Get Abbie ready for bed.  Bath (usually every other day), books, brush teeth and tuck her in to bed.  Mark usually does her night time routine with her, except for brushing her teeth.  I do that and then we both tuck her in to bed together.
9:15 – 10pm – Try to finish stuff up in the kitchen/living room.  Sometimes we’ll try to watch TV or I finish stuff up on the computer and Mark messes around on his computer too.  Abbie usually calls me in once or twice for a few more kisses or to tell me something.  If she can hear us downstairs, she’ll keep calling for us, so we try to either come up to our room or to go to the basement so I can sew and Mark can be on the big computer.
10 – 11:30pm – Mark and I watch shows upstairs, or read or talk and then we go to bed.  Mark usually falls asleep before me since he doesn’t get the 2 hr naps every day like I do.
12:30am – I get up to pee.
2:45am – I get up to pee.
4:30 – 6:30am – Sometime in there I get up to pee again, usually when Mark gets up to get ready for work.
So there you have it.  That’s our typical day.  Sometimes on the weekends we’ll sleep in until 9:30am or so if Abbie lets us.  She goes to bed later than a lot of kids her age I think, but that’s because I don’t want to get up with her at 6am and Mark usually doesn’t get home from work until close to 7pm at night so he wants to spend a few hours with her before she goes to bed anyway.  It works out well for us and I hope I can get the little guy on this sort of schedule sometime also, although I realize that’ll probably take a few months.

No comments: