Last week I finished my 2nd quilt top. I was so nervous to start putting all my pieces together because I was afraid they weren’t going to match up at all, so I put this off for a long time. But I finally decided to bite the bullet and just put it together, and if I had to cut a bunch of the edges off to get them even then so be it. I’m still learning.
Here’s a picture of me sewing the sashing in on. Notice that big gapping hole on the left side in the middle of the picture? Ugh. That was definitely an “oh crap” moment.
Here’s a close up of the hole. Oops. My quarter inch seams leave much to be desired at this point, but by the end of this quilt I had gotten it figured out. And I discovered a have a quarter inch foot for my sewing machine! That will make things easier for sure.
So here it is, all done. I still have to trim the edges though. It turned out much better than I was expecting. You can see the backing hanging behind it too.
By the way, this is our “new” bedroom! I’ll post more on it later, but Mark and I redid our house this weekend and our old office/craft room/ playroom is now our bedroom. I still have all my fabric hanging in our bedroom though, and when this quilt is finished, I’ll probably hang it up there for decoration.
I’m currently quilting my first quilt also. I’m doing a “stitch in the ditch” stitch on it, because I figured that would be easiest. It is easy, now that I figured out it’s a lot easier to “stitch right next to the ditch”, instead of trying to get the stitching right on the seam. That was next to impossible and I was all over the place, but I finally gave up and quilt like 1/8th of an inch off the seam now. It’s much easier. Once I get done with that one I’ll post more pictures of it. I’ve decided I’m going to give it to my grandma for Christmas so I need to finish quilting it and get it binded quickly so I can get it in the mail to her! Wish me luck!