Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thank God for friends

Abbie was being particularly difficult today, after being particularly difficult last night. She's been doing fairly well at night, but last night Mark fed her a little earlier than normal, and she fell asleep a little earlier than normal, and that seemed to throw everything off and she was up a LOT more than normal. Bummer.

Today I had things I wanted to get done and I was hoping she'd let me do a few things, but no such luck. She let me put her down for 15 mins so I could get some breakfast. I got materials to make a few more pacifier leashes for her so when she spits them out they don't land on the floor, and I've been wanting to make them for a while, but never had the time. So I hauled her bouncer upstairs to my craft room and put her in it and dug out my sewing machine and materials and started on my first paci clip. And then she started to cry. Nice. So I tried putting her into a ring sling, and she screamed. Double nice. I knew she was tired, but she was fighting sleep as usual. So I tried to put her in her crib to sleep. No such luck. Got her out of the crib, changed her and decided maybe she was hungry so I nursed her a little bit, and she fell asleep. Tried putting her in the crib again and as soon as I put her down her eyes snapped open and she was crying. (sighs) Calmed her down and tried to put her in her bouncer again. She cried again. Tried to put her on a blanket on the floor on her tummy. She screamed. Tried flipping her over on her back. She still screamed. At that point I gave up and took her downstairs to "our chair" (recliner in the living room) and nursed her for about 3 mins before she was out. I knew if I tried to put her down then she'd wake up again so I decided to wait a little bit until she was in a deeper sleep. Well I fell asleep waiting. Nice.

In between all that, my friend Gail called and offered to come over tomorrow to entertain Abbie while I pack for our San Diego trip. How sweet is she! (She's also our official weina dog babysitter while we're out of town. The weinas go live with her and her husband Nate, and their pups Jada and Lacy while we're gone, this weekend included.) After lunch I was just finishing up feeding Abbie when the doorbell rang. I assumed it was a solicitor since we get a TON of them and they still ring the doorbell despite the No Soliciting sign on the door. (Idiots!) So I didn't bother to get up. Then the phone rang and it was Gail who said she was outside. Here she'd come over to hold Abbie for a while so I could get a few things done! Seriously, they don't come sweeter than Gail. She said I'd sounded stressed on the phone when I'd talked to her earlier, which I was a little frustrated, so she'd come to help out. She held Abbie for me and entertained her while I made a batch of cookies, cleaned up some of the kitchen, put a bookshelf together for Abbie room, rearranged Abbie's room a little bit and hung more things on the wall of Abbie's room. I was so thankful that she came over and let me get a few things done. Maybe I should consider having our next door neighbor come over once or twice a week for an hour or two to hold/entertain Abbie while I get some things done. How much would you pay for something like that?

Anyway, thank God for good friends like Gail. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

Em said...

Thanks Gail! Yay!

Monica, maybe you can do a trade with a friend/neighbor for a few hours of babysitting a week. Cook something/make something/find someone with kiddos you can watch. That's what I did with my friend Tricia this spring so that we could each at least one day a week to ride with the cycling team. Mondays I watched her boys and Wednesdays she took Sierra. It worked out great!